Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The one product I continue to make...

In a prior post, I stated how I am no longer make my own hair products. The natural hair community has grown leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, and so has the sales of natural hair products. With all products out there, I still prefer to make one thing myself: Hot Oil Treatments.

If you are a type 4 natural, hot oil treatments are a must! There are several benefits to using  a hot oil treatment including: restored moisture balance, easier detangling, reduced shedding and increased shine. The pre-made hot oil treatments are not pure oils and are diluted with who knows what.

I do a lot of protective styling. Anytime I am going to use heat on my hair, a hot oil treatment makes for easier blow outs and more manageability, which saves time. My wash day time is cut down to 2 hrs. start to finish. I often apply hot oil treatments the night before to be sure I get the maximum benefits.

Hot Oil Treatment

  • Olive Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Sweet Almond Oil
  • Avocado Oil
  • A few drops of Tea Tree Oil ( if my scalp is dry)

Mix oils together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Be sure it's not too hot. Separate and lightly dampen hair. Apply to hair starting at ends working to roots. Sit under dryer, steamer, or leave on overnight. Proceed with wash day.

1 comment: