Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hometown Abomination: Lord Forgive Me...

I just have to get this off of my chest! It's been working on me for the past couple of weeks. I have a friend that moved away from Pittsburgh to DC. This is fine, nothing wrong with expanding your horizons and getting out there. The only problem that I have is the sheer, unadulterated hate that she has for the place that she was born and raised at.  It's not so much the hate, but the ignorance that goes along with it.

She constantly talks about things here that she knows nothing about since she hasn't lived here in so long. For instance, I said something about jobs and the first thing out of her mouth is that 'people in Pittsburgh don't have good jobs. There are a few jobs that are really paying any real money there'. Well, excuse me, when was the last time you looked for jobs in Pittsburgh? What is real money where you live at?

I mentioned something about the tunnels being closed for the weekend. 'They are still working on that? Ugh, they need to stop that stuff. See that is the reason why...in Pittsburgh'. Umh, I didn't know that you were driving on the roads here this weekend?

'The nightlife sucks at Pittsburgh; there is nothing going on there'. Alright, granted there might not be something poppin' in the city every weekend, but there is something to do, depending on your interests are. To me after you get a certain age, the club isn't your number one priority.

Where did all of this hometown animosity come from?!?! I am not sure. I understand that people move away and other places become their home, which is fine. But please do not talk about a city that you haven't lived in for years. There are things to do in every city if you are open minded. And every city has its unique quirks, pros and cons. Some people may not want to live in a city where a nice one-bedroom will set you back $1200. But rather enjoy their extra money on vacations visiting other cities. People who have left and came back to Pittsburgh, have said that they wouldn't have come back here if they could. Most people came back because of jobs.

It just gets under my skin that there is a constant negative attitude, comment or remark when it comes to Pittsburgh. Yes, we may not be as advanced as some cities, but its your hometown. Sometimes I feel like perhaps there is a little longing to be back here at times. It's not like everything that she tells me that she does makes me want to hop up and move there ASAP. Both of our Friday nights sound the same, with the exception of the constant club hopping, which at my age is starting to bore me. There isn't like there are stories of cultural outings; intimate affairs with the president; or events that make me just want to drop everything and go. (Even though some of the concerts would be a welcome change). Even though I will mention her bad mouthing the city she grew up in, she just continues to say things. 'If I get married, I'll never do it there, none of the venues match my style'. But what venues down there [DC] match it?

Perhaps, I should stop thinking that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. Come what may, there is no place like home. No matter how far you go, no matter how nice, there is no place like home.

Lord please forgive me, but this was just wearing on my heart and I just had to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment