Friday, September 16, 2011

Relationship Guru: Love and Other Drugs

There is nothing that can fix a broken heart. I find that music is one of the best ways to get over a lost love. Below are a few songs from a playlist that has helped me mend my broken heart and kick my ‘narcotic’ habits.

Where do the Good Go by Tegan and Sara
Alright, not quite R&B, or blue-eyed soul for that matter, but the message is the same. I discovered this song while working at The Gap. Tune out the beat, and their mundane voices and what are you left with? Poignant lyrics.

Where do you go with your broken heart in tow? What do you do with a leftover you? How do you know when to let go? Where do the good go?

No Happy Holidays by Mary J. Blige

The Queen of Hip Hop Soul in her earlier days in every woman’s CD player at one time or another. I could have a whole CD posted up here, but I chose one her lesser-known songs: Happy Holidays. For any of you that have ever been ‘the only other woman’ this song is for you.

Half-Crazy by Musiq

Ok, this may be one of my favorite songs, but when I was going thru it I just put in on repeat and let it play. There were times when I felt like I was going half-crazy. Not doing my hair, dressing like a bum, not eatin’, and slingin’ snot. Don’t no body know how I feel but Musiq!

Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin

Classic. Not something that you would expect to be on my playlist, but there is something about this song that just relieves the stress of the break-up. It’s like after you have accepted it, yeah he got a piece of my heart, just go ahead and break it, go on n!gga take it! You are at your angry black woman stage at this point.

Enough. Listening to Broken Hearted on Rhapsody. Check it out!

Got your own brokenhearted playlist? Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment