Monday, July 4, 2011

Music Review Monday: Ledisi


Happy 4th of July!

While riding to a BBQ, I really got to listen to and get the full effect of the new Ledisi album, Pieces of Me. I got it on a whim while at Target. It was a toss up between her and Beyonce, and since Run the World (Girls) irks me to no end, I decided to go with Ledisi.

Now, I have been a Ledisi fan since the first time I heard 'In the Morning (Live)' and I still to this day have 'Think of You' on my motivational CD in the car. Her neo-soul sound and great lyrics makes me feel like I am listening to 'real music', not this electronically produced stuff that we have flooding the airwaves.

Oh yeah, on to the review...Like all of her CD's you can expect to have some feel good music. I am big on lyrics with any song, but it seems like the lyrics all hit home with me. The lead single 'Pieces of Me' is the quintessential black woman narrative:

So many colors...
(I make up the woman that you see)
A good friend and lover
(Anything you want Yes I can be)
I can run the business and make time for fantasy
(These are the pieces of me)


Other songs I love: So Into You, Bravo, Coffee, Shine, BGTY (Be Good To Yourself) and I Got to Get to You. Surprisingly, I am not a fan of Stay Together, which for anyone that knows me, I LOVE Jaheim. That song just doesn't do it for me.

Overall, I brought this CD without even hearing the title track and I must say that I feel like it was well worth the $10.70 that I paid for it. 3 out of 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment