Monday, December 10, 2012

Product Review: As I Am DoubleButter Cream

I tried so hard to love you, As I Am DoubleButter Cream! When I say that I tried, I mean, I did every possible thing to try to make this work for my hair.

I went into Sally's, palms sweaty, debit card in hand, prepared to shell out $28.99 plus tax for this product that I seen all over YouTube with rave reviews. Believe it or not, I glanced at the ingredients because I noticed that it contains coconut oil, and my hair doesn't respond well to it.

After about 12 minutes of contemplation and two conversation with the sales girls, glancing several other products for one-third of price, I ran to the register and brought it!


Moisture is essential for great natural coils and curls. When your hair feels a bit rough and dry, and looks that way too, this is the jar to reach for. The power-packed As I Am® DoubleButter® Cream is a rich emollient blend, graced with the finest array of natural butters and organic oils. It gets the job done.

Sounds really good right?







I couldn't contain myself!  Hastily, I washed and deep conditioned my hair. Finally something that would make my hair really soft, great for twist outs, moisture for days, my mind just went on and on. After my deep condition, I prepared my hair for a protective style. I added a leave in conditioner, oiled my scalp, added the DoubleButter Cream and sealed with some castor oil and started to detangle and braid. I woke up the next morning and expected that my hair was going to be super soft, but it wasn't. Ok, no problem, mist with water, add the cream, and seal with some oil. After 3 days, my hair felt drier than ever. It was like I didn't do anything to it at all.

When I removed my braids to wash, my hair was crunchy. Crunchy like I had been putting gel on my hair the whole time--not a creamy moisturizer.

I wasn't willing to give up that easily. I pre-pooed, washed, and deep conditioned again. This time I used the LOC method for sealing in moisture. I added my leave in conditioner, added castor oil, and then the DoubleButter Cream and proceeded to braid it up. The next morning...better! Finally!

Now, I thought to myself, let me try a twist out. The results were ok. Why? Because my ends were dry and crunchy. I used the LOC method and the ends were still dry. The definition was decent for it to just be with a moisturizer, but nothing like when I did it with the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

The bottom line: For the price this product, it just doesn't stack up. My concern is that when doing the LOC method I wonder what is making my hair moisturized--the water and castor oil, or the actual moisturizer. I wanted to say that it was because of the change in the weather and that my hair was just extremely dry, but I think that I was just making excuses to try to love this product after all the hype. The one thing that I do love about this product is the smell, but beyond that...I got nothing.

I know that it was more than likely because of the amount of coconut oil in the product and from what I heard (not sure if this is fact) coconut oil has some protein in it and that could have possibly caused the crunchiness in my hair. I'm sorry but it will be going back to Sally's tomorrow.

I did buy some Qhemet Biologics products as a replacement, and I'm just as excited to get it in the mail as I was to try this one! I also brought another cream moisturizer on Black Friday. The search for the perfect moisturizer continues.

Have you tried the As I Am DoubleButter Cream? Do you like it? Was it worth the price for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment