Monday, March 19, 2012

Sh!t People Say to Transitioners..

No, I am not jumping on the whole '___ people say to ___' wagon. But something happened this weekend that made me have a flashback one of the YouTube videos that I have seen.

If you follow my blog then you know that I am participating in the 'Protect Ya Ends' Challenge. Well, on Saturday, I got up, went for a brisk walk, did some pilates, and decided to wash my hair. Mind you, it was 12:30 when I got into the shower and my nail appointment was at 2. After I got out of the shower it was 1:34 or so. I couldn't braid it up to put on a wig, so I was forced to slick it up into a bun. I grabbed my EcoStyler gel and went to work!

I tied it up while I drove to my appointment to meet my friend. Well, when I got there I still had the scarf on. After we chit-chatted for a while, she mentioned going to the mall to Tiffany's. Ok, fine. Now, this is where it got really real. My scarf slipped off and it she was like: We need to stop by Clair's to get you a head band or head wrap. *insert my screw face here*

It caught me completely off guard. I explained to her that I was in a challenge, which she was uninterested in, just how we would look going into Tiffany's together. We left and I looked in the mirror. There was nothing wrong with my hair. Yes, it lacked a part, or baby hairs, but it was slicked very nicely into a bun. Actually, my waves were poppin' at the top. There wasn't a hair out of place. I couldn't understand why she would say something like that. But then again, as I have said in other posts, there is no need to argue people just don't understand.

Sidebar: While in the mall, it seemed like every woman of color had natural hair! There were puffs and fro-hawks all over the place. Oh yeah, Tiffany's didn't have a problem giving excellent customer or taking credit cards from people with natural hair slicked up into buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment