Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day


Most people see it as a day off, while others see it as a day to celebrate how far we have come. My father, who lived through the depression, civil rights movement, and finally to see a black president often speaks about Martin Luther King Jr and the impact that he had (and still has) on the African American population. When my dad speaks of the inter-workings of the civil rights, I find it hard to imagine what it was like in the south back then. Even though we still face some of the same prejudices as we did years ago. We, as African Americans, have come along way, but there are so many other trails and paths to be blazed. I hate to say it, but I see no one in my generation making an impact like Dr. King has.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment